Being a mom of three, I am always experimenting with being able to make healthy and delicious foods in a jiffy. One of the things I’ve come to realize is that my kids love snack bars. But store-bought snack bars are either expensive and/or loaded with too much sugar. So one day I started studying the ingredients of the snack bars that I bought and decided to see if I could come up with something just as delicious in the kitchen.
As it turns out, snack bars are SO EASY to make! All you need is solid base to start the bars off with and from there, you can throw in whatever suits your fancy. Here is the recipe for one of our favorites:
1 cup of pitted medjool dates
1 1/2 cups gluten-free oats
1 tbsp raw chia seeds
1 tbsp raw flax seeds
1 tbsp raw hemp seeds
1/2 cup almonds
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup sunflower butter
1. Throw the cup of pitted medjool dates in the blender and blend on high for a few seconds until the dates form a soft clump.
2. Transfer the dates into a large bowl and add in the oats, chia seeds, flax seeds, hemp seeds, and almonds.
3. Combine the maple syrup and sunflower butter and heat until hot but not boiling. Remove from heat.
4. Pour the maple syrup and sunflower butter mixture into the bowl. Mix well.
5. Spread the entire mixture on an 8×8 glass container lined with parchment paper for easy removal (optional).
6. Pop in the freezer for 15 minutes so it sets.